This division of HPT is focussed on the development and supply of complete Fuel Cell Systems. As a Fuel Cell Systems integrator, HPT has successfully developed a number of systems for backup power, and transport applications, since 2008, and is currently expanding into developing specialized solutions for Materials Handling.
Hot Platinum combines its extensive expertise on Power Conversion, System Design, Cooling and System Management to develop innovative and fully integrated Fuel Cell Systems.
HPT HAS DEVELOPED EXTENSIVE EXPERTISE IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
- Integration of Fuel Cell Stacks,
- Integration of Hydrogen gas supply and Balance of Plant
- Integration of Metal hydride storage and pressure boosting systems,
- Design and Integration of Power Electronic Converters into Fuel Cell Systems,
- Auxiliary and backup storage systems for Hydrogen
- Electronic Instrumentation and Controls for Fuel Cell Systems
- Hydrogen Safety Systems
- Design and Selection of Balance of Plant Components and controls for Fuel Cell Systems
- Development of complete Fuel Cell Management and Control Systems for Open and Closed Cathode systems
3kW REMOTE ELECTRIFICATION SYSTEM
A fully integrated system incorporating an open cathode self humidified Air Cooled stack was developed for rural off-grid electrification. The system includes the Fuel Cell Stack, Balance of Plant controls, Power Conversion System which includes a DC-DC converter, Battery storage and DC-AC inverter systems. HPT also developed the Fuel Cell Management System and automation controls.
This unit is available in various options from HPT namely:
- Stand alone mode – Operation with no grid or electrical connection as described above
- Demonstrator mode – Which allows the unit to be used in field studies and fuel cell development research
- UPS backup power unit – This mode allows the unit to be connected to the grid or an electrical supply, and supply the 3kW power to the application load. During this process the Fuel Cell is in standby mode, and when the power fails, the unit automatically runs the fuel cell and supplies the application from the Hydrogen gas supply. The Hydrogen is supplied from a rack of gas cylinders with a supply pressure range from 5 bar to 250 bar. The unit also features a full data logging system which records all parameters and alarm events for fault diagnosis. A 3G Remote Access Terminal allows the system to be monitored and controlled remotely. This can be used for remote data logging as well.
FORKLIFT FUEL CELL POWER PACK
HPT is currently developing a Fuel Cell Power Pack for an electric forklift; which would be a direct replacement for the existing battery system in an electric forklift. This solution will allow facilities to decrease downtime due for recharging and reduce emissions. In addition the faster refueling times compared to battery charging systems, will allow facilities to decrease the number of forklifts required.
The system will include the following:
- PEM Closed Cathode Fuel Cell
- Fuel Cell Balance of Plant
- Power Conversion System
- Auxiliary Batteries System
- System Management
2.5kW BACKUP POWER FUEL CELL DEMONSTRATOR WITH INTEGRATED MH STORAGE
HPT developed a completely integrated hydrogen fuel cell backup power system demonstrator capable of storing hydrogen supplied by an electrolyser using metal hydride, and delivering the hydrogen at higher pressure to the Fuel Cell to provide 2.5kW. An open cathode self humidified, Ballard air cooled fuel cell was used. HPT completed the full design,layout, hardware and software development, system integration and manufacture of the system. The Metal Hydride Storage and Pressure Boosting System was developed by HySA Systems.
METAL HYDRIDE SORAGE CONTROL SYSTEMS
HPT developed systems to control the storage and dispensing of Hydrogen from Metal Hydride Storage Tanks; for HySA Systems at the University of Western Cape. The Control System, with associated Balance of Plant and User Interface controls were design and manufactured by HPT.